-By A Special Correspondent
(Lanka-e-News -19.Jan.2024, 11.40 PM) In a startling exposé, the involvement of Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) Member of Parliament, Imtiaz Bakeer Markar, in the unresolved murder of Sri Lanka Muslim Congress activist Mohamed Naufer in Beruwala Chinafort in 1994 has been brought to light. Despite the gravity of the accusations, the matter has never been thoroughly investigated by the police, leaving unanswered questions about the true events surrounding the killing.
1) Uninvestigated Killing: Imtiaz Bakeer Markar stands accused of orchestrating the killing of a Sri Lanka Muslim Congress activist in Beruwala in 1994. Shockingly, the police failed to conduct a thorough investigation, never questioning Imtiaz Bakeer Markar himself. Instead, the blame was placed on his security guards.
2) Motive Behind the Killing: As a politician aligned with the United National Party (UNP), Imtiaz allegedly harbored animosity towards the growing popularity of the Sri Lanka Muslim Congress among Muslims in Beruwala. With significant control over political matters in the region, he purportedly targeted a Sri Lanka Muslim Congress activist during a political campaign, allowing the individual to be shot by one of his security guards on his orders.
3) Political Journey: Imtiaz Bakeer Markar's political career has been marked by various positions of influence. From being a former Cabinet Minister of Media, Postal and Telecommunications to State Minister of Housing, he has held key roles in Sri Lankan politics. His affiliation with the UNP saw a shift when he was sidelined, leading him to join the newly formed Samagi Jana Balawegaya.
4) Rise to Power: Imtiaz's political ascent began in 1981 when he became the Deputy Chairman of the Kalutara District Development Council. He later served as the Member of Parliament for the Kalutara District, holding ministerial posts until 2004. His resignation from the United National Party in 2019 marked his entry into the Samagi Jana Balawegaya.
5) Power Clan: Imtiaz Bakeer Markar hails from a politically influential family, with his father, Mohammed Abdul Bakeer Markar, serving as the 12th Parliamentary Speaker and Governor of the Southern Province. Imtiaz's family history can be traced back to Arab settler Sheik Jamaluddeen-Al-Maghdoomi, and his grandfather, Hakeem Alia Marikkar, belonged to a lineage of local physicians.
6) Personal Life: Imtiaz's education journey took him through Holy Cross College, Kalutara, Zahira College, Gampola, and Ananda College, Colombo. Graduating from the University of Kelaniya, he later qualified as an Attorney-at-Law in 1981. Imtiaz's marriage to Ummu Fareeda in 1981 resulted in five children.
7) Mother's Struggles: Imtiaz's mother, Sithy Kadija Muhammad Raffai, faced adversity, resorting to begging on the streets after being divorced by Imtiaz's father. Allegedly, Imtiaz failed to provide assistance, leaving his mother to be cared for by her brother, Yehiya.
8) Broken Promises: During his schooling, Imtiaz lived with Faleel Hajiyar in Colombo, with promises to marry Hajiyar's daughter. However, he broke the promise and opted for a larger cash payment from a tea factory owner's daughter.
9) Corruption Allegations: Imtiaz faced accusations during his tenure as State Housing Minister for selling state-owned roof sheets to the private sector for personal profit.
10) VAT Scam: Imtiaz and his family members are implicated in what is being referred to as the largest VAT scam in Sri Lanka, allegedly embezzling billions from taxpayers. Calls for a comprehensive investigation by criminal investigators have intensified.
11) Welcoming Racist Channa Jayasumana: Despite advocating for Palestinian rights, Imtiaz Bakeer Markar has faced criticism for welcoming anti-Muslim politician Channa Jayasumana into the Samagi Jana Balawegaya, allegedly betraying his own community for political gain.
12) African Village Analogy: Despite Imtiaz and his family's political dominance in Beruwala - Maradana for the past 30 years, the area allegedly resembles an African village according to critics. Questions arise about the lack of development despite their control over various political portfolios.
In conclusion, Imtiaz Bakeer Markar's alleged involvement in the unsolved murder of Mohamed Naufer, combined with a series of personal and political controversies, has cast a shadow over his political career. Calls for a thorough investigation into these serious allegations continue to grow, as the public demands answers and justice for the unresolved murder and other scandals that have tarnished the reputation of this seasoned politician.
by (2024-01-19 20:33:37)
Leave a Reply
0 discussion on this news